History

Family History

Lungholm is an old manor, formerly known as Olstrupgaard, which was first mentioned in 1434, and from 1639 called Lungholm.

The farm is located in Olstrup Parish, Fuglse District, Lolland Municipality, Region Zealand.

The main building was built in 1853-1856 by the architect L.A. Winstrup,
rebuilt in 1906 by Hans Christian Glahn, again rebuilt in 1953 and most recently in 2007-2010.

Lungholm Estate mesures 1,457 hectares including the farms Højbygaard and Lyttesholm. Lungholm has been in the family de Bertouch-Lehns for more than 200 years and throughout seven generations.

Owners of Lungholm

• (1450-1455) Erik Pors
• (1455-1484) Oluf Henriksen Gjøe
• (1484-1506) Eskild Olufsen Gjøe

• (1506-1544) Mogens Eskildsen Gjøe
• (1544-1558) Albrecht Mogensen Gjøe
• (1558-1560) Otto Albrechtsen Gjøe
• (1560-1610) Peder Brahe

• (1610-1613) Axel Pedersen Brahe
• (1613-1622) Otto Pedersen Brahe
• (1622) Elisabeth Rosensparre married (1) Brahe (2) Rosenkrantz
• (1622-1642) Palle Rosenkrantz
• (1642-1649) Lisbeth Jørgensdatter Lunge married Rosenkrantz
• (1649-1681) Erik Rosenkrantz
• (1681-1690) Holger Eriksen Rosenkrantz
• (1690-1695) Enke Fru Rosenkrantz married Holck
• (1695-1709) Flemming count Holck

• (1709-1721) Børge Trolle
• (1721-1723) Hans Frederik Kaas
• (1723-1738) Christian Ditlev greve Reventlow
• (1738-1775) Christian Ditlev greve Reventlow
• (1775-1784) Christian Ditlev Frederik greve Reventlow
• (1784-1804) Poul Abraham friherre Lehn

• (1804-1805) Johanne Poulsdatter Lehn married Wallmoden
• (1805-1831) Poul Godske lensbaron von Bertouch-Lehn
• (1831-1905) Johan Julian Sophus Ernst lensbaron Bertouch-Lehn

• (1905-1928) Poul Abraham lensbaron de Bertouch-Lehn
• (1928-1936) Poul Johan lensbaron de Bertouch-Lehn
• (1936-1939) Possessions after Poul Johan lensbaron de Bertouch-Lehn
• (1939-1986) Poul Christian baron de Bertouch-Lehn
• (1986-2011) Eric Rudolph baron de Bertouch-Lehn
• (2011-) Nicolas Erik Carl Poul Johan Dmitri baron de Bertouch-Lehn

Castle History

Lungholm was originally called Olstrupgaard and first mentioned in 1434. The farm was soon taken over by Krenkerup Gods and led a very modest life until the famous Palle Rosenkrantz bought Krenkerup. With Palle Rosenkrantz dawned a new era for the then 200 year old farm. He expanded the farms area and built a brand new manor house in 1639, which consisted of two wings, which came towards each other in between which there was a small, square pavilion building.

Bygningshistorie

These two wings, East- and west wing, are still standing. A wide moat separated the courtyard from the farm stables and work shop. The farm was named after Palle Rosenkrantz ‘ third wife, Lisbeth Lunge, and was unchanged for more than 200 years. After many time of many changes, Lungholm was sold to Christian Ditlev Reventlow (the elder), who incorporated the estate into his possession. In 1729 the county of Christiansborg was established, which shortly after was renamed Christianssæde. When the later Prime Minister Christian Ditlev Reventlow took over the estates, they were very neglected. He got permission to sell Lungholm from the county. The buyer was the rich merchant Baron Paul Abraham Lehn from Berritzgård. This change of owners was the beginning of a new era in the estates history. After several years as a kind of tenant farm under Christianssæde, it became the center of an entailed estate.

The entailed estate was established from the farms Lungholm, Højbygaard and a few smaller farms and got the strange name of Sønderkarle. Poul Abraham Lehn decided before his death that Lungholm should go to his grandson, Poul Godske von Bertouch. In 1819, the entailed estate became a barony, and the young assessor became Baron and took the family name Bertouch-Lehn.

His son, Julian von Bertouch-Lehn, rebuilt Palle Rosenkrantz ‘ main building 1853-56. The old pavilion buliding was demolished, and the side wings shortened, so there was room for a larger castle building. In his time the beautiful English-styled Park was also created. The new building was designed and built by the Royal Surveyor, Architect L.A. Winstrup.

In 1905 the main building had a disproportionate tower building added to it in the middle of the facade, but in 1952 it was demolished. The original main building from 1856 had a main staircase in the middle of the facade. When the tower was removed, this staircase was however not restored.

Realdania, the EU, The Danish National Heritage Agency, The Nykredit Foundation and The Berntsen Foundation has granted financial support for the rebuilding of Lungholm’s main building, wings and manor stables as well as redecoration of the castle for holiday rental purposes and wellness / therapy with good accessibility for all disability groups.

Realdania has pronounced: “Lungholm Castle on Lolland dates back to 1639, but today is a manor house that has outdated its original function, and the listed buildings were in incipient decay. The project is intended to revitalize the estate through the establishment of a holiday resort with amenities that make it possible for severely disabled people and their families to enjoy the estate’s beautiful surroundings and holiday offers. The holiday resort will be the first to offer holiday rental for disabled people in and around a listed building in Denmark, and the remodeling is done with respect for the estate’s listed status. The financial support is among others also given because of the project being a fine example of how conservation through development can create a sustainable future for a beautiful, listed manor house, which forms an important part of our nation historical heritage. ”

In the period 2007 – 2009 after the financial support was granted and in close collaboration with architect Merete Lind Mikkelsen MAA, Lungholm Castle underwent a gentle renovation. The two wings, East and West wing, are now thoroughly renovated and remodeled partly for the private home of the estate’s former owner (in the East Wing) and partly with wellness facilities (in the West Wing). The main building was also renovated and furnished for rental purposes, such as holiday rental, meetings, conferences and the like. The Manor Stables have been converted into 2 banquet facilities for 150 people with a corresponding large catering kitchen.

The construction consultance on the project has been Architect Merete Lind Mikkelsen MAA, which collaborated with sub-consultants as Schødt Architects A / S, Skude & Jacobsen Consulting Engineers A/S (now part of MOE), RASK-EL, HVH Entreprise A/S, PF Build, Carpenter Jens Fredriksen etc.

The following link contains photo cavalcade “Manor House Holiday for all” prepared by the architect Merete Lind Mikkelsen.

Read more about the renovation here

With the help of the financial support from The Nykredit Foundation and The National Heritage Agency, the previously mentioned main staircase, has now been re-established (October 2010), and the castle has been brought back to its original style and expression. Lungholm is still owned by the family Bertouch-Lehn. Current owner: Estate owner, Nicolas Erik Carl Poul Johan Dmitri Baron de Bertouch-Lehn.